Dr. Schumaker has been invited to keynote the 11th International Symposium on Computer Science in Sport in Konstanz Germany. His talk will describe the approaches and examples for using predictive analytics in sport.
Jun 15 2017
May 01 2017
DSS paper – Prediction from Regional Angst – A Study of NFL Sentiment in Twitter Using Stock Market Charting
A new publication is available. Blending together the techniques of technical stock market charting to the time-series sentiment signal from Twitter, we demonstrate a method to use twitter sentiment as a proxy to predict NFL games.
Mar 02 2017
Dr. Schumaker will be the keynote speaker at the International Conference on Advances in Big Data, Computing and Data Communication Systems in Durban, South Africa, August 6-7, 2018.
This 2-day conference will include invited keynotes and oral presentations. icABCD 2018 will provide a forum for researchers from both academia and industry to exchange the latest innovations and research advancements in big data, soft computing, cloud computing, networking and computer security.
Oct 05 2016
Today Dr. Schumaker was officially named the George W. and Robert Pirtle Endowed Professor in Business for the College of Business and Technology. With this endowed professorship he plans to seed the Data Analytics Lab into a self-sustaining research lab, extend his current research portfolio and begin to involve student learning in the field of business analytics.
Sep 21 2016
Dr. Schumaker was elected as President of the International Information Management Association (IIMA) for the 2016-2017 term.
The International Information Management Association was founded in 1989, with the mission to provide a unique blend of high-quality academic research combined with social interaction.
As an example of that commitment to academic research, IIMA publishes the Journal of International Technology and Information Management (JITIM), a double blind reviewed publication; as well as the Communications of the IIMA (CIIMA) a double blind reviewed publication. Each are published on a quarterly basis. Manuscripts are solicited year round from all interested scholars and practitioners. All journals are listed in Cabell’s Publishing Directories of Academic Journals. All Journals are indexed and available in the following products: ProQuest, ABI, PQCentral, Science, TECH, Technology and EBSCO Host.
The conference combines academic excellence and friendly interaction to create a collegial atmosphere that is usually missing from other conferences. The majority of our members know each other on a first name basis and regularly communicate and collaborate throughout the year.
Sep 04 2016
Dr. Schumaker’s research is in the news again. Reporter Mark Howarth from the Scottish newspaper Daily Star recently reported on Schumaker’s sports analytics research.
Howarth, M., (Sept 4, 2016). Profs Get in Fluff Over Twitter Betting Result. Daily Star.
Sep 01 2016
The Data Analytics Lab within the College of Business and Technology has been founded. The Data Analytics Lab will have four primary missions to support teaching and research.
- Complement existing undergraduate and graduate analytics courses; e.g., Business Intelligence and Analytics, Sports Data Analytics, and Web Analytics.
- Positioned to respond to anticipated future programs and/or degree programs. Extensions of the Masters of Science Computer Science into an Analytics track with an extension to a PhD program in Data Science degree.
- Provide a research platform for the department and college to generate high impact research. Data collection, tools and expertise to find new data insights.
- Act as a nationally-recognized data repository for external collaboration opportunities. Collecting data is sometimes the most difficult aspect of analytics. Our expertise can be leveraged to provide others with data in exchange for raising the University’s and our own research profile.
Aug 31 2016
Dr. Schumaker and his colleagues from CCSU recently published a sports analytics paper on using Twitter sentiment as a proxy for predicting Premier League soccer matches in the journal Decision Support Systems.
Schumaker, R., Jarmoszko and A. T., Labedz Jr., C., (2016). Predicting Wins and Spread in the Premier League Using a Sentiment Analysis of Twitter. Decision Support Systems. 88(8):76-84.
Aug 24 2015
Dr. Schumaker has been named the Associate Professor of Computer Science at the University of Texas at Tyler. This represents an exciting opportunity to:
- build up the Computer Information Systems program from scratch,
- create a 21st century Information Technology degree curriculum,
- help create an NSA Center for Academic Excellence,
- found a Data Analytics Lab and
- work towards establishing a PhD program in Cyber-Security.
May 15 2015
Passed the CompTIA Security+ certification exam.